Summer Cooling - Long Term Energy Savings Actions
Back to main summer cooling page
Insultation and Sealing Air Leaks
- Add insulation in attic (Consult a licensed electrician if wiring does not meet current standards).
- Upgrade insulation levels to an R-38 in the attic, R-19 in the walls, and R-19 in the floor (if located over a crawl space or unconditioned space).
- Have cellulose blown into walls that are not insulated (Consult a licensed electrician if wiring does not meet current standards).
Cooling and Ventilation
- Install high efficiency air conditioner or heat pump. Look for ENERGY STAR qualified cooling equipment.
- Install more cold air returns if house needs increased air circulation to increase cooling system efficiency.
Appliances and Electronics
- During building design and when your existing roof needs replacement, consider using ENERGY STAR qualified roof products. Reflective roofing materials can help reduce the amount of air conditioning needed in buildings, and reduce peak cooling demand by 10–15 percent.