Drought Information - Water Planning and Monitoring in Missouri
The department's Water Resources staff monitor and evaluate hydrologic conditions during droughts. The department monitors groundwater levels in Missouri’s aquifers, which includes 164 monitoring wells statewide. Data collected by the groundwater monitoring wells is available online at http://dnr.mo.gov/asp/wrc/gwells/search.asp.
Missouri Soil and Water Conservation Districts are offering cost-share assistance to qualifying Missouri farmers suffering from the statewide drought. Farmers are encouraged to participate in an emergency program to help drill or deepen water wells or provide a water distribution system for livestock or crops if it will provide an immediate material benefit..
Applications are no longer being accepted for the Drought Assistance Emergency Cost-Share Program. The application period closed at 5 p.m. on Aug. 6.
If you applied before the Aug. 6 deadline, please contact your county’s Soil and Water Conservation Districtfor further information about your application.
- Normal soil and water cost-share programs provide 75 percent of the project cost, with the landowner covering the remaining 25 percent.
- Under this emergency program, 90 percent of the eligible project cost will be covered with landowners picking up the remaining 10 percent, with a maximum cost-share award of $20,000.
- Producers who previously have participated in cost-share projects for livestock watering practices may still be able to participate.
- Because of the emergency situation of the drought, applications from farmers for this cost-share program must be submitted by Aug. 6, 2012, to the local soil and water district or online.
- The local soil and water district will act to approve or deny the application within 72 hours of receiving a completed application.
Additional Resources and Information for the Agricultural Community
- Missouri Department of Agriculture
- Drought Information for the Agricultural Community, Fact Sheet--PUB2171 (06/06)
- Gov. Nixon News Releases and Executive Orders Issued Regarding Drought
- Because of tremendous response, additional $5 million being put into emergency program to help drought-affected farmers, Gov. Nixon announces, news release
- Gov. Nixon announces emergency program to help drought-affected farmers drill, deepen wells for more water for livestock and crops, news release
- Executive Order 12-08
- Gov. Nixon declares state of emergency because of public health, agricultural, fire risk concerns from prolonged severe heat and drought, news release issued , news release
- Executive Order 12-07
- Gov. Nixon calls on Soil & Water Districts Commission to provide emergency drought assistance for livestock producers, news release
- Gov. Nixon surveys impact of extremely dry conditions on farms, communities throughout Missouri, news release
The department's Division of Geology and Land Survey's Wellhead Protection staff ensure that private wells drilled in Missouri are constructed to standards as set by state regulations. This helps protect Missouri's groundwater resources from contamination due to poor well construction. Learn more about proper well construction and groundwater protection. Homeowners that may be experiencing reduced water supplies due to drought conditions should contact a permitted water well driller to determine what actions can be taken to address the situation. The department also has a list of permitted pump installers if a homeowner's pump needs to be replaced. For more information on wellhead protection, contact staff in the department's Division of Geology and Land Survey at 800-361-4827 or 573-368-2100.
- Water Conservation, Brochure--PUB2249 (08/08)
- Water Conservation - What You Can do to Help, Fact Sheet--PUB2170 (06/06)
Predicting when droughts occur or how long they will last is a difficult task. Droughts not only affect water supply, but also agriculture, recreation, tourism and industrial production. Water utilities should plan on the possibility of water shortages, know the impacts of water shortages and minimize those impacts by careful management of supply and demand.
Preparing for drought conditions involves planning and training by utility staff, educating the general public regarding drought impacts and water use. The department's Water Resources Center's has developed a Missouri Drought Plan that will help with planning and responding to a drought.
The Missouri Department of Natural Resources is providing model ordinances that public water supplies may review and potentially develop water conservation ordinances in order to help conserve water as necessary. Suppliers should consult with their legal counsel before implementing the ordinances.
For more information and assistance, contact the department's Public Drinking Water Program at 573-751-5331 or 800-361-4827.