Environmental Services Program
Air Quality Assurance Unit
As mandated by EPA in 1983, a state quality assurance plan was established which included the formation of an ambient Air Quality Assurance Unit, or AQAU. AQAU's purpose is to ensure air data produced is of known quality and the quality level is adequate to meet monitoring objectives. To accomplish this task the following major components are utilized:
- Performance, Technical and Systems audits
- Technical Assistance
- Development and promotion of uniform procedures and methods
In order to establish and maintain comparability, all agencies collecting and reporting ambient air data for use by the state of Missouri are required to participate in the state quality assurance plan.
Resources and Services for Agencies/Operators
Certifications and Calibrations
AQAU performs calibrations, certifications and verifications not only on AQAU equipment, but also for local agencies, private industry and their consultants to assure the accuracy of their equipment.
AQAU staff can assist agencies and operators in numerous areas including instrument and calibrator demonstrations, and Standard Operating Procedures development.
Quality Control vs Quality Assurance
- Quality Control - The system of activities to provide a quality product.
- Quality Assurance - The system of activities to provide assurance that the quality control system is performing adequately.
Links of Interest
- Air Pollution Training Institute Training Courses by Format.
- Air Quality Planning & Standards.
- Ambient Air Monitoring QA Program.
- Clean Air Act.
- EPA Publications Search.
- National Performance Audit Program.
- Policy Memoranda/Technical Guidance Documents.
- Quality Assurance Handbook Information.
Code of Federal Regulations (Air Monitoring)
- 40 CFR Part 50 - National Primary and Secondary Ambient Air Quality Standards.
- 40 CFR Part 53 - Ambient Air Monitoring Reference and Equivalent Methods.
- 40 CFR Part 58 - Ambient Air Quality Surveillance.