Hazardous Waste Program
Shapiro Brothers has been at a 15-acre site located in Festus for approximately 65 years. This facility is primarily a scrap metal recycling operation, recycling items such as rail cars, automobiles, sheet metal, siding and empty appliance shells.
In July and September 2011, the Missouri Department of Natural Resources conducted a series of environmental inspections at Shaprio Brothers Inc., a scrap metal processing facility in Festus, owned by MW Recycling LLC, in Festus. The inspections were conducted in response to a complaint received from the city of Festus concerning soil being tracked onto city streets from the site. Sampling conducted by the city indicated elevated lead levels in the soil.
Shapiro was issued two notices of violation – one for hazardous waste violations and one for water violations as a result of the inspections.
- Notice of Violation – Hazardous Waste
- Notice of Violation – Water
The department also conducted a Resource Conservation and Recovery Act site investigation in September.
The department is continuing its effort to determine the nature and extent of contamination, which includes sampling of nearby residential properties. This sampling is being conducted as part of a Superfund site investigation.
May 9, 2013 - The department hosted a public meeting to discuss upcoming residential yard sampling and clean up.
- Meeting Summary.
- Department's presentation at the May 9, 2013, public meeting.
- MW Recycling's presentation at the May 9, 2013, public meeting.
- Environmental Services Program Sample Request Memo
- Property Access Request Letter
- Sampling and Analysis Plan for April 2012 SI/RSE Investigation
- Site Inspection/Removal Site Evaluation Report - full report 09-25-12 (172 MB)
- Site Inspection/Removal Site Evaluation - Narrative (.45 MB)
- Site Inspection/Removal Site Evaluation - Appendix A (11 MB)
- Site Inspection/Removal Site Evaluation - Appendix B (.3 MB)
- Site Inspection/Removal Site Evaluation - Appendix C (.9 MB)
- Site Inspection/Removal Site Evaluation - Appendix D (38 MB)
- Site Inspection/Removal Site Evaluation - Appendix E (16 MB)
- Steve Sikes, Jefferson County Health Department; 636-789-3372 Ext. 3; email@example.com.
- Jonathan Garoutte, Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services; 573-751-6102; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Michael Stroh, Missouri Department of Natural Resources; 573-522-9902; email@example.com.