Hazardous Waste Program
The department has changed all fill-in forms to PDF fill-in. You will be able to save and reuse these PDF forms. However, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 or higher to save the PDF fill-in form. Also, at this time the department does not accept digital signatures. If your Acrobat Reader prompts you to use one, we ask that you don't.
The goal of the tanks section is to protect human health and the environment by building conditions under which good management of underground storage tank systems is common business practice.
In 1984, the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act established a regulatory program for underground storage tanks. (RCRA Subtitle I) - The Missouri law governing the use of underground storage tank systems is found in Chapter 319.100-139 RSMo at the Missouri General Assembly website.
The tanks section primary duties include:
- Registering and regulating underground storage tanks
- Environmental oversight of leaking underground storage tanks
- Providing general and technical information concerning installation and closure of underground storage tanks
- Encourage compliance with the performance standards
- Assess alternative technologies used in association with underground storage tank systems and cleanup efforts
- Assess registration fees and issue Certificates of Registration
- Evaluate financial responsibility mechanisms
- Encourage compliance with underground storage tank laws and regulations and oversees the Underground Storage Tank Inspection Program
- Tanks' Conferences and Training
- Maintain the Missouri Code of State Regulations pertaining to underground storage tanks
- Tank Pit Policy
- Changes to the Underground Storage Tank Regulations
- Ricker Method Template Plume Calculations 51MB
- Leaking Underground Storage Tank Cooperative Agreement American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 Final Report
- Transform Missouri and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, or ARRA - For more information on initiatives for cleaning up leaking underground storage tank sites visit the Division of Energy's ARRA website at http://ded.mo.gov/division-of-energy/transform/ or the state's Transform Missouri website at http://transform.mo.gov/resources/dnr2.htm.
- Financial Responsibility for Installers and Manufacturers of Underground Storage Tanks -- PUB2423
- Sources and Causes of Releases at Petroleum Storage Tank Sites
- Creditor Protection for Underground Storage Tank Properties
- Missouri Risk-Based Corrective Action Guidance
- Additional Information and Links
- MoDNR Hazardous Waste Download Database Files
- Contact Us
- Tank Closure Checklist, fact sheet -- PUB2218
- Environmental Consultants
- Operational Tanks Assistance Listserv for Underground Storage Tank Owners, Operators and Consultants
For Sunshine Law requests or file reviews, please contact our Records Center at
To find out what is happening at the national level, visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Office of Underground Storage Tanks home page. This particular website is a tremendous resource with federal regulations, frequently asked questions, information from all 50 states, technical bulletins and fact sheets.
Click this map to see active underground storage tank sites as well as locations of ongoing cleanups of releases from aboveground and underground storage tanks in Missouri.
The operation of above ground storage tanks is not regulated by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. For information about regulation and inspection of above ground storage tanks, contact the Missouri Department of Agriculture, 573-751-5636. Petroleum releases from above ground storage tanks must be managed using the Missouri Risk-Based Corrective Action Process for Petroleum .