Water Protection Program
Water Quality Standards
The objective of the Clean Water Act of 1972 along with its amendments are to restore and maintain the chemical, physical, and biological integrity of the Nations waters. The first national set of water quality standards were published in 1983 and codified in 40 CFR Part 131. These regulations allow individual states to construct their own water quality standards framework providing there is no reduction in protection compared to federal guidelines.
Missouris Water Quality Standards are reviewed and modified every three years. Termed the triennial review process, coordinators with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources meet with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, other state agencies, and concerned citizens to evaluate the effectiveness of our standards.
Water quality standards provide a means by which attainment of water quality objectives can be measured. The objective is protection of designated uses through the application of narrative or numeric criteria. The level of protection given to a stream, lake, or river is dependent on the expected or "designated use(s)," of that water. Classified waters in Missouri have been assigned the designated uses that are listed in 10CSR 20-7.031(C) page 10. The antidegradation section requires actions to maintain existing uses. Attainment frequency of water quality standards are used in identifying and characterizing waters of the state for purposes of compiling the 303(d) list and 305(b) report. In addition, effluent limits contained in National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits are frequently derived using water quality standards.
EPA Actions on Water Quality Standards
- May 10, 2013 EPA Action on Site-Specific Dissolved Oxygen Criteria Provision of Missouri's 2012 Water Quality Standards
- Jan. 25, 2013 EPA Action on Schedule of Compliance Provision of Missouri's 2012 Water Quality Standards
- Feb. 24, 2010 Comments to EPA on Proposed Update to Ammonia Criteria
- Nov. 12, 2008 Memo from EPA regarding Initial Zones of Dilution for Bacteria in Rivers and Streams Designated for Primary Contact Recreation
- Enclosure: EPA Region 7 Approval of Portions of the Missouri 2006 Water Quality Standards
- Feb. 20, 2007 EPA Letter regarding Review of Missouri Water Quality Standards
- Oct. 31, 2006 EPA Determination on Missouri Water Quality Standards for 141 Water Bodies
- Attachment: EPA’s Detailed Analysis of Whether New or Revised Water Quality Standards are Necessary for 141 Water Body Segments
- Dec. 27, 2004 Consent Decree between EPA and Missouri Coalition for the Environment
- Dec. 16, 2004 Settlement Agreement between EPA and Missouri Coalition for the Environment