Geological Survey Program
Oil and Gas in Missouri
Oil was discovered in Missouri shortly after the Civil War when water wells were being drilled near Kansas City. Missouri has seen a marked increase in the production of oil in the last several years. Although Missouri has limited supplies of traditional hydrocarbons, relatively large deposits of “heavy oil” exist that are of increasing interest to producers. Missouri potentially has large quantities of "unconventional" energy resources that include: coalbed methane, oil sand and oil shale. New technologies and efficient, environmentally responsible oil production strengthen Missouri’s future and result in increased economic benefit to the state through jobs and revenue. Production numbers have been collected by the state’s Geological Survey since 1933.
The Missouri Geological Survey is responsible, in part, for activities associated with the exploration, production and subsurface storage of oil and gas in Missouri. A portion of these responsibilities include reviewing, approving and maintaining applications to drill oil and gas production wells, underground injection control wells (enhanced oil recovery, disposal and hydrocarbon storage wells). The oil and gas database contains permits for more than 12,000 wells. Well status includes under construction, active, inactive, plugged and abandoned.
Oil and Gas Forms (Downloadable, Fill-in-able)
Oil and Gas Operators in Missouri (updated 5/09/14)
Oil and Gas Production Statutes
Oil and Gas Council Orders
- Order No. OGC-2007-001 (Kerns 2-7-07)
- Order No. OGC-2011-001 (LaQuinta 1-5-11)
- Order No. OGC-2011-002 (Palo Petroleum 1-5-11)
- Order No. OGC-2011-003 (Colt 4-19-11)
- Order No. OGC-2011-004 (Colt 7-12-11)
- Order No. OGC-2011-005 (AltaVista 7-12-11)
- Order No. OGC-2011-006 (Colt 10-19-11)
- Order No. OGC-2011-007 (IGWT 10-19-11)
- Order No. OGC-2011-008 (Running Foxes 10-19-11)
- Order No. OGC-2012-001 (Kansas Resource Exploration 1-17-12)
- Order No. OGC-2012-002 (Laclede Gas Company 1-17-12 )
- Order No. OGC-2013-001 (effective 4-17-13)
- Clark-Miller Oil Pool Boundary Map (as established by State Oil and Gas Council Order No. OGC-2013-001)
The State Oil and Gas Council publishes rules and regulations that apply to oil and gas drilling and producing operations to foster and promote orderly and economic development, production and use of natural resources of oil and gas.
The State Oil and Gas Council is composed of the director, or his or her appointee, of the following agencies:
- Missouri Department of Natural Resources' Missouri Geological Survey
- Missouri Department of Economic Development' Division of Commerce and Industrial Development
- Missouri Public Service Commission
- Clean Water Commission
- the Missouri University of Science and Technology and
- a member from the Missouri Independent Oil and Gas Association.
Two other persons knowledgeable about the oil and gas industry are appointed to the council by the governor with the advice and consent of the Senate.
When the requirements of 10 CSR 50-2.010 through 50-2.110 and chapters 259 RSMo have been complied with, the authority to engage in oil and gas drilling or producing operations will be granted by the state geologist.
- John Madras, Council Chairman and Director, Clean Water Commission, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Jefferson City
- Shari Dunn-Norman, Ph.D., Council Vice Chairwoman and Professor, Petroleum Engineering, Missouri University of Science & Technology, Rolla
- David Bleakley, Industry Member, Colt Energy, Fairway, Kans.
- Joe Gillman, Missouri Geological Survey Director and State Geologist, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Rolla
- Robert S. Kenney, Chairman, Missouri Public Service Commission, Jefferson City
- William J. Luebbert, Public Member, Jefferson City
- Bill L. Ransdall, Specialist, Community Planning and Development, Missouri Department of Economic Development, Jefferson City
- Travis Clements, Legal Counsel, Assistant Attorney General, Missouri Office of the Attorney General
- Vacant, Public Member
For more information about the State Oil and Gas Council or meetings, please contact the council secretary at 573-368-2143.
Are you interested in serving on the State Oil and Gas Council or another DNR Board or Commission?
Wednesday, October 8, 2014, at 10 a.m.
Country Inn & Suites
2520 East Austin Boulevard
Nevada, MO 64772
Tentative Future Meetings
January 21, 2015 Missouri Geological Survey, Rolla, Mo.
April 15, 2015 MoDNR, Elm Street Complex, Jefferson City, Mo.
July 15, 2015 Missouri Geological Survey, Rolla, Mo.
October 21, 2015 Kansas City Regional Office, Kansas City, Mo.