News Release 023
Department sponsoring mercury drop off sites in southwest Missouri
Homeowners, Nonprofit Agencies Targeted
Volume 37-023 (For Immediate Release)
Contact: Larry Archer
JEFFERSON CITY, MO, JAN. 30, 2009 -- The Missouri Department of Natural Resources is launching a month-long effort in February to rid homes of mercury, with nearly 90 mercury drop-off locations throughout the state, including 23 in southwest Missouri.
The department, working with fire departments and county health offices throughout the state, is providing mercury drop off buckets in communities statewide. Any private citizen or nonprofit agency can leave mercury-containing instruments, like thermometers, blood pressure cuffs, thermostats or switches, at any of these sites.
The program does not include compact fluorescent bulbs. A fact sheet detailing the proper disposal of CFLs is available on the department's website: http://www.dnr.mo.gov/pubs/pub2273.pdf.
The department is asking that anyone seeking to dispose of items at these sites first secure the item in two zip top bags and then placed in a sealed container (such as a coffee can or plastic margarine tub). The extra packaging is required to prevent the release of mercury if the item breaks while being transported.
The list of drop off sites in southwest Missouri is included below. Please call the site before taking mercury instruments for disposal, and never leave items if the facility is closed.
The Department of Natural Resources will collect the dropped off items at the end of February and transport them to Jefferson City. They will be picked up by a state contractor, who will recycle what can be recycled and properly dispose of the rest.
Anyone who is uncomfortable with transporting mercury instruments, or who has large quantities of mercury, can contact the department's spill line at 573-634-2436 to arrange to have items picked up.
A total of 23 facilities in southwest Missouri are participating in the mercury drop off program. Unless otherwise noted, their office hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday:
- Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Southwest Regional Office, 2040 W. Woodland, Springfield, 417-891-4300
- Barton County Health Dept., 1301 E. 12th St., Lamar, 417-682-3363 or (3364)
- Cedar County Health Dept., 1317 S. Highway 32, Eldorado Springs, 417-876-5477 (closes at 4:30 p.m.)
- Dade County Health Dept., 413 W. Water St., Greenfield, 417-637-2345 (closes at 4:30 p.m.)
- Laclede County Health Dept., 105 W. North St., Lebanon, 417-466-2201
- McDonald County Health Dept., 500 Olin St., Pineville, 417-223-4351 (closes at 4 p.m.).
- Hickory County Health Dept., 201 Cedar St., Hermitage, 417-745-2138 or (2139)
- Jasper County Health Dept., 105 Lincoln, Carthage, 417-358-0481, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Friday
- Newton County Health Dept., 812 W. Harmony, Neosho, 417-451-3743, Monday and Wednesday only 8 a.m.-11 a.m. and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Dallas County Health Dept., 1011 W. Main, Buffalo, 417-345-2332, 8 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Douglas County Health Dept., 603 N.W. 12th Ave, Bldg. C, Ava, 417-683-4213 or (4174), 8 a.m.-noon and 12:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Ozark County Health Center, 304 W. 3rd St., Gainesville, 417-679-3334 or 417-679-4222, 7 a.m.-noon and 12:30 p.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday
- Polk County Health Center, 1317 W. Broadway, Bolivar, 417-326-7250, 8 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Stone County Health Dept. (North Office), 109 E. 4th St., Galena, 417-357-6134
- Stone County Health Dept. (South Office), 16914 State Highway 13, Branson West, 417-272-0050
- Taney County Health Department (East Office), 15479 U.S. Highway 160 (in the Cedar Square Shopping Center), Forsyth, 417-546-4725 (closes 4 p.m.)
- Taney County Health Dept. (West Office), 320 Rinehart Road, Branson, 417-334-4544 (closes 4 p.m.)
- Webster County Health Dept., 233 E. Washington, Marshfield, 417-859-2532 (closed noon-1 p.m. daily)
- Wright County Health Dept. (Hartville), 300 S. Main, Suite C, Hartville, 417-741-7791, 8 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Friday
- Wright County Health Dept. (Mountain Grove), 602 E. State St., Suite B, Mountain Grove, 417-926-0009, 8 a.m.-12:15 p.m. and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday.
- Computer Recycling Center, 1434 N. National, Springfield, 417-866-2588, 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. Monday-Saturday
- Monett City Fire Station 2, 904 County Road, Monett, 417-235-4672, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Vernon County Health Dept., 301 N. Washington, Nevada, 417-667-7418, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.