Historic Preservation Council to consider nominations for National Register Five Nominees located in the St. Louis Area
For more information: 573-751-1010
Volume 37-130 For Immediate Release: May 14, 2009
JEFFERSON CITY, MO., -- The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation will consider nominations to the National Register of Historic Places during its quarterly meeting May 15 in Jefferson City. The meeting, which is open to the public, will begin at 9 a.m. in the La Charrette conference room of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources' Lewis and Clark State Office Building, 1101 Riverside Drive.
Fourteen nominations are scheduled to be considered for listing in the National Register. Properties on the agenda include historic residences, commercial buildings, bridges and historic districts. In total, the nominations represent approximately 341 historic structures.
The following five properties in the St. Louis area are being considered:
The Moorlands Addition Apartment District in Clayton was platted as one of the county's elite private places in 1922. Slow land sales spurred developers to alter the building restrictions to allow for well designed apartment complexes and flats. This change in 1925 created an automobile-oriented district of apartment buildings attractive to professionals and middle-class residents containing 204 historic buildings and objects. The buildings, designed to reflect the large residences of neighboring subdivisions, are primarily architect-designed examples of architectural styles popular in the early to mid-20th century, namely Tudor and Colonial revivals and more "modern" Art Deco and Modern designs.
Ladue Estates, at Ladue Estates Drive in Creve Coeur is an enclosed community of 75 ranch houses with six pylons at its entrances. While the homes are excellent examples of early ranch houses, Ladue Estates also represents the mid-century manifestation of suburbia. This district with its "modern" ranch housing, attached garages, and sprawling yards was created between 1956 and 1965 by Goldberg and Co. to appeal to wealthy automobile owners who desired open space to raise their families away from the noise and crowded conditions of the city. In local context, Ladue Estates reflects the development of West St. Louis County, which was primarily rural at the time. During and after the development of the subdivision, schools, hospitals and businesses boomed to cater to resident commuters. Ladue Estates is also significant as an enclave to Jewish Americans who desired a piece of the suburban dream but due to prejudice were restricted in other neighborhoods. Designed by a Jewish builder, Ben Goldberg, Ladue Estates became a welcome place for affluent Jewish Americans.
Route 66 in Missouri, extended nearly 300 miles across Missouri and spurred the development of paved highways and a wide range of commercial enterprises. Designated in 1926, U.S. Route 66 connected Chicago to Los Angeles and gained a following of historians and travel enthusiasts that support the preservation of the route long after its decommissioning. A National Register Multiple Property Cover Document was funded by the National Park Service's Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program to recognize the significance of the route to transportation, commerce and tourism in the state. The document will facilitate the evaluation and listing of Route 66-related properties in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Meramec River Route 66 Bridge, near Eureka, was constructed in 1931 to carry Route 66 over the Meramec River. The bridge is significant both for its association with the historic highway and as a relatively rare example of a riveted Warren deck truss, one of only four bridges of its type in the state. The bridge, including approaches, is 1,009 feet long and consists of three 130-foot spans. The historic bridge is located within the boundaries of Route 66 State Park, adjacent to the park's visitor center. This nomination was also funded by the National Park Service Route 66 grant.
The National Candy Co., a group of loosely cooperating candy companies, consolidated their diverse operations under one roof in 1927. The new candy factory on Gravois Avenue was designed to house the whole operation, including candy making, box making and packaging facilities, and regional distribution. Though historically a seasonal industry that shut down in the hot summer months, the new factory incorporated air conditioning systems in the high-heat cooking areas and other floors to allow for year-around production. The building continued to be used for candy making until 1953 when the building was sold to Brown Shoe.
The William A. Stickney Cigar Co. Building is located at 209 North Fourth St. in downtown St. Louis. The company was the largest cigar jobbing house in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and was an important component of St. Louis' tobacco-related industry. The nominated property was built in 1886, and the five-story Victorian Romanesque building is one of the few remaining pre-1890s commercial buildings in the core of downtown St. Louis. Stickney started his company after moving to St. Louis in 1872, and found a niche as a wholesaler, jobber and manufacturer of cigars. Stickney Cigar Co. used the building as a central office and to make cigars until the company moved in 1916.
Other properties located throughout the state that are being considered include:
- Fredericktown Courthouse Square Historic District, Fredericktown, Madison County
- Erlbacher Buildings, Cape Girardeau
- Blackwater Residential Historic District, Blackwater, Cooper County
- Munichburg Commercial Historic District, Jefferson City
- Travelers Hotel, Kirksville
- Mt. Zion Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Excelsior Springs, Clay County
- Oliver H. Dean Building, Kansas City
- Pythian Home of Missouri, Springfield
In addition to nominations to the National Register of Historic Places, the council will receive status reports on programs provided by the State Historic Preservation Office and discuss business related to its own function and duties.
The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation is a 12-member group of historians, architects, archaeologists and citizens with an interest in historic preservation. The council is appointed by the governor and works with the Department of Natural Resources' State Historic Preservation Office, which administers the National Register program for Missouri. The council meets quarterly to review Missouri property nominations to the National Register, the nation's honor roll of historic properties. Approved nominations are forwarded to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington, D.C., for final approval.
For more information about the May 15 meeting or the council, call the State Historic Preservation Office at 573-751-7858 or the Department toll free at 800-361-4827.