News Release 257
Historic Preservation Council to consider nominations for National Register Aug. 14
Volume 37-257 (For Immediate Release)
Contact: Sue Holst
JEFFERSON CITY, MO, AUG. 13, 2009 -- The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation will consider nominations to the National Register of Historic Places during its quarterly meeting Aug. 14. The meeting, which is open to the public, will begin at 9 a.m. in the Hermann Lounge, Hunter Activity Center on the Westminster College campus, 450 W. 7th Street, Fulton.
Sixteen nominations are scheduled to be considered for listing in the National Register. Properties on the agenda include historic residences, commercial buildings and historic districts. Approximately 500 historic buildings and structures are represented in the nominations. The nominated properties under consideration are listed below:
- Central School Campus, 221 S. Third St., Desoto, Jefferson County
- Mitchell Hall, 706 E. Dunklin, Jefferson City, Cole County
- Hermann Historic District (Amendment), roughly bounded by Wharf, First, Mozart, 5th, Schiller, 4th, Guttenburg, and Reserve streets, Hermann, Gasconade County
- Our Lady Of Perpetual Help Parish Hall, School, Convent and Rectory, 5217 N. 21St St, 2017 Linton Ave., and 2001 Linton Avenue, St. Louis [Independent City]
- Marine Villa Neighborhood Historic District, Roughly bounded by S. Broadway, Chippewa, Cahokia, Kosciusko & Winnebago, St. Louis [Independent City]
- National Candy Co., 4230 Gravois Ave., St. Louis [Independent City]
- Pevely Dairy Co., Plant, 1001 S. Grand, 3626 Chouteau, 1101 Motard, St. Louis [Independent City]
- South Middle Street Historic District, S. William and S. Middle Streets, Cape Girardeau, Cape Girardeau County
- Switzer School Buildings, bounded by Madison Ave, Summit, 18th and 20th Sts., Kansas City, Jackson County
- St. Louis Stamping Co. Buildings, 101 Cass Ave., St. Louis [Independent City]
- Mercantile Bank & Trust Building, 1101 Walnut Street, Kansas City, Jackson County
- Cragwold, 1455 Cragwold Road, Kirkwood, St. Louis County
- Central Police Station, 701 Messanie, St. Joseph, Buchanan County
- Fredericktown U.S. Post Office, 155 S. Main St., Fredericktown, Madison County
- Charles and Bettie Birthright House, 109 Main Street, Clarkton, Dunklin County
- Mt. Carmel Historic District, County Road 412 and Mo. Highway 41 N., Saline County
In addition to nominations to the National Register of Historic Places, the council will receive status reports on programs provided by the State Historic Preservation Office, discuss business related to its own function and duties, and set dates for its quarterly meetings for 2010.
The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation is a 12-member group of historians, architects, archaeologists and citizens with an interest in historic preservation. The council is appointed by the governor and works with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources' State Historic Preservation Office, which administers the National Register program for Missouri. The council meets quarterly to review Missouri property nominations to the National Register, the nation's honor roll of historic properties. Approved nominations are forwarded to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington, D.C., for final approval.
For more information about the Aug. 14 meeting or the council, call the State Historic Preservation Office at 573-751-7858 or the Department toll free at 800-334-6946.