News Release 450
Celebrate the Holidays in Missouri State Historic Sites
(For Immediate Release)
Contact: Sue Holst
JEFFERSON CITY, MO., NOV. 24, 2009 -- Enjoy the sights, sounds and flavors of the holiday season at celebrations in Missouri state historic sites. These events, sponsored by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, showcase different traditions and cultures and range from candlelight tours to Christmas concerts.
- Nov. 28 -- Hanging of the Greens, Arrow Rock State Historic Site, Arrow Rock, 660-837-3330. Beginning at 1 p.m., help the village of Arrow Rock decorate for the holiday season at this annual event. Come sing carols and wait for Santa's arrival.
- Dec. 5 -- Christmas on the Farm, Watkins Woolen Mill State Park and State Historic Site, Lawson, 816-580-3387. Attend this free holiday open house from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Watkins family home. Enjoy holiday caroling, reading of family letters and traditional holiday treats. Activities at the visitor center include kid's crafts, live traditional holiday music and a performance by the Lathrop Singing Mules grade school choir.
- Dec. 11-12 -- Christmas Candlelight Tours, Hunter-Dawson State Historic Site, New Madrid, 573-748-5340. Enjoy an 1860s Victorian Christmas during candlelight tours of the Hunter-Dawson home. The home will be decorated in lavish Victorian style with hundreds of feet of pine roping, three Christmas trees, ribbons and trimming. Staff in period costumes will give free regular tours from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and candlelight tours from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Refreshments will be served. This event is co-sponsored by the City of New Madrid and the New Madrid Chamber of Commerce.
- Dec. 13 -- French Christmas Open House, Felix Vallé House State Historic Site, Ste. Genevieve, 573-883-7102. This annual celebration highlights the music, food, customs and decorations of an early French Christmas celebration known as Le Réveillon. Costumed guides will explain the early 1800s customs and the dining room will be filled with traditional foods. Musical entertainment will be provided by the "Peacocks," and visitors will be able to sample the bûche de Noël (Yule log cake). Admission is free to this event, which takes place from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Dec. 19 -- Candlelight Christmas Concert, First Missouri State Capitol State Historic Site, St. Charles, 636-940-3322. "Papa" and Jackie Wright will narrate and perform "The History of Christmas" beginning at 8 p.m. This holiday candlelit show will feature mambas, drums and various other instruments. Tickets go on sale Nov. 28 and are $6 each (limit 10 per person).
For more information on these events, call the individual sites or the Department of Natural Resources toll free at 800-334-6946 (voice) or 800-379-2419 (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf). For more information about state parks and historic sites, visit the Web at mostateparks.com.