News Release 109
Arrow Rock will receive a federal grant for historic preservation project
Volume 38-109 (For Immediate Release)
Contact: Sue Holst
JEFFERSON CITY, MO., MARCH 9, 2010 —Gov. Jay Nixon announced today that the town of Arrow Rock, a Certified Local Government, will receive a $21,960 grant through the federal Historic Preservation Fund.
Arrow Rock will use the grant for preservation work on six historic properties that contribute to the town's National Historic Landmark District designation. These properties include an 1830s vernacular building on the public square recently purchased for use as a town hall, and the following buildings managed by the Friends of Arrow Rock, Inc. and used for services to the community: an 1850s storefront building, now the office of the Friends of Arrow Rock, Inc.; an 1850s storefront building (rebuilt in 1901), now housing the U.S. Post Office; the 1868 Masonic Lodge Hall; the 1871 Brown's Chapel, Arrow Rock's first African-American church and school; and the 1872 Christian Church building.
The National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 authorizes a program of federal matching grants, known as the Historic Preservation Fund (HPF), to assist the various states in carrying out historic preservation activities. The program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service (NPS), and in Missouri, is administered through the Missouri Department of Natural Resources' State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO).
Under changes made to the act in 1980, each state is required to earmark a minimum of 10 percent of their Historic Preservation Fund monies for exclusive use by Certified Local Governments. CLGs are communities that have established, under their local government, a historic preservation program that meets certain standards set by the state and the NPS. Local governments that maintain CLG status are considered to be partners with the SHPO and the NPS in the nation’s historic preservation program. Missouri currently has 49 local governments that have attained CLG status.
Grant applications were solicited from CLGs for development projects supporting Missouri’s historic resources that have been certified as being of national significance. The grants were awarded based on a competitive scoring process and the direct relation of the projects to the identification, evaluation, or protection of historical, architectural or archaeological resources. Grant-funded projects must pertain to the accomplishment of the State Historic Preservation Officer’s responsibilities as outlined in the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, must be carried out in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior’s “Standards for Archaeology and Historic Preservation” and must meet requirements of the National Register Programs Guideline (NPS-49).