News Release 152
Historic Preservation Council to consider National Register nominations May 20
Volume 39-152 (For Immediate Release)
For more information: 573-751-1010
JEFFERSON CITY, MO, MAY 18, 2011 --The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation will consider nominations to the National Register of Historic Places during its quarterly meeting May 20 in Jefferson City. The meeting, which is open to the public, will begin at 9 a.m. in the La Charrette Conference Room of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources’ Lewis and Clark State Office Building, 1101 Riverside Drive, Jefferson City.
Ten nominations are scheduled to be considered for the National Register. Properties on the agenda include historic residences, commercial buildings, historic districts and a bridge. More than 730 historic buildings, sites and structures are represented in these nominations.
The nominated properties under consideration are listed below:
* Journal Printing Co., 119 S. Elson St., Kirksville, Adair County.
* North Main Street Historic District, 400 Block N. Main St., Poplar Bluff, Butler County.
* Western Electric-Southwestern Bell Distribution House, 4250 Duncan Ave., St. Louis.
* Simpson-Yeomans/Country Side Historic District (Boundary Increase II), Roughly bounded by E. 52nd St., Brookside Blvd., Oak St., 57th St., and Main St., Kansas City, Jackson County.
* Southeast Third Street and Southeast Corder Avenue Ranch House District, Approximately the south side of SE Third east of Independence Ave., along SE Corder Ave., Lee’s Summit, Jackson County.
* William A. Lange Subdivision, 101-4235 N. Florissant Ave., 4128-4150 Glasgow Ave., 2141-2325 Angelica St., 4111-4220 N. 22nd St., St. Louis.
* Central Carondelet Historic District (Boundary Increase IV), Roughly Bounded by S. Broadway, Pennsylvania Ave. Interstate 55, Bates St. and Delor St., St. Louis.
* Mark Twain Elementary School, 5316 Ruskin Ave., St. Louis.
* St. Louis Place Historic District, includes portions of 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, Benton, Montgomery, North Market Sts., Rauschenbach Ave., and St. Louis Ave., St. Louis.
* North Ward School, 201 W. Locust St., Bolivar, Polk County.
In addition to nominations to the National Register of Historic Places, the council will receive status reports on programs provided by the State Historic Preservation Office, and discuss business related to its own function and duties.
The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation is a 12-member group of historians, architects, archaeologists and citizens with an interest in historic preservation. The council is appointed by the governor and works with the Department of Natural Resources' State Historic Preservation Office, which administers the National Register of Historic Places program for Missouri. The council meets quarterly to review Missouri property nominations to the National Register, the nation's honor roll of historic properties. Approved nominations are forwarded to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington, D.C., for final approval.
For more information about the May meeting or the council, call the State Historic Preservation Office at 573-751-7858 or the department toll free at 800-334-6946.