Hazardous Waste Program
Information on how and
where to recycle and links
to Missouri's Electronics
Scrap Management Rule.
the maintenance of residual
contamination at sites to
protect human and environmental
The goal of the Hazardous Waste Program is to protect human health and the environment from threats posed by hazardous waste. The program does the following to accomplish this goal:
- Encourages the reduction of hazardous waste generation.
- Regulates the management of hazardous waste.
- Oversees the cleanup of contamination
- Promotes property reuse.
- Removal and cleanup of petroleum storage tanks in the state.
Read the program's Quarterly Report for more information on the activities of the Hazardous Waste Program.
Looking for information about the new Electronics Scrap Management Rule? Check out our Web page with details specific for manufacturers, retailers, consumers and recyclers. Computer manufacturers who sell computers and computer accessories in Missouri must now have a department approved recovery plan that specifies how the products will be freely and conveniently collected from consumers and recycled or reused.
Interested in reviewing and improving hazardous waste methods and regulations? Visit Hazardous Waste Forum to learn more.
Missouri Risk-Based Corrective Action, or MRBCA, guidance documents
- MRBCA Process for Petroleum Storage Tanks Guidance Document
- MRBCA Technical Guidance (non-petroleum tank sites)
- MRBCA Workshop Documents
Hazardous Waste Operating Sections
Each section has an important role in the protection of Missouri's natural resources from hazardous waste contamination. For more information, call the Hazardous Waste Program at 573-751-3176.
- Brownfields/Voluntary Cleanup Program - Provide state oversight for voluntary cleanups of properties contaminated with hazardous substances.
- Budget and Planning - Obtains and oversees the financial resources necessary to operate the program; maintains hazardous waste generators registration and reporting data.
- Compliance and Enforcement - Works to ensure compliance with hazardous waste, Polychlorinated Biphenyl, or PCB, and underground storage tank laws and regulations.
- Federal Facilities - Provides oversight and review of investigations, management and remediation of hazardous (chemical and radiological) substances at federal facilities in Missouri.
- Natural Resource Damages - Evaluates injuries to natural resources, negotiates legal settlements then uses recovered funds to conduct restoration of injured resources.
- Permits - Issues hazardous waste permits to businesses that want to treat, store, or dispose of hazardous waste in Missouri.
- Superfund - Designed to clean up contaminated property where releases of hazardous substances have occurred in the past or are threatening to occur due to past practice.
- Petroleum Storage Tanks - Protect human health and the environment by building conditions under which good management of underground storage tank systems is common business practice.
- Director's Office - Administrative responsibilities.
- What's New in Hazardous Waste
- Hidden Hazards
- What is Hazardous Waste?
- Household Hazardous Waste Information
- Generator Archive - information for businesses on how to manage hazardous waste
- Hazardous Waste Management Handbook for Small-Quantity Generators--PUB2174
- Rogersville Well Contaminants Investigation
- Tannery Sludge Environmental Investigation
- DeTray Plating Works, Independence
- Missouri Pesticide Collection Program
- Overview of Bridgeton Sanitary Landfill – Westlake Landfill